1. Using the content on this website
Information made available on this website (hereinafter referred to as “Content”) may be freely used, copied, publicly transmitted, translated or otherwise modified on condition that the user complies with provisions 1) to 7) below. Commercial use of Content is also permitted.
1) Source citation
- The user must cite the source when using the Content. Sources should be cited in the following manner:
(Examples of source citation)
Source: Geospatial Information Authority of Japan website (URL of the relevant page)
- If you use Active Fault Map or Active Fault Map in Urban Area, you must specify surveyor’s name.
Okada,A., Hirouchi,D., Matsuta,N., Miyauchi,T. (2017) ,1:25000 Active Fault Map in Urban Area "NAKATSUGAWA" , Geospatial Information Authority of Japan
- When using Content in an academic paper or book, and so forth, you must give source citation in an appropriate manner set forth in the journal’s rules.
- If you have edited the Content for use, you must include a statement expressing that the content has been edited, in addition to the abovementioned source citation, but not in any way that making public or using edited information in a format that may be misconstrued as having been created by the Government of Japan (or its ministries and/or agencies).
(Example of citation when using edited content)
- Created by editing GSI Tiles (elevation)
- Created by Company YY based on XX data (Geospatial Information Authority of Japan) (URL of the relevant page)
2) No infringement of third party rights
(Examples of the cases indicating or suggesting that Third Party holds rights)
- In some cases, a third party (refers to a party other than the state. Hereinafter referred to as “Third Party”) may hold copyrights or other rights to a part of the Content. For Content where a Third Party holds copyrights or other rights (e.g. portrait rights in a photograph, publicity rights etc.), it is the responsibility of the user to obtain consent for use from the Third Party unless there is explicit indication that the rights have already been cleared.
- If a Third Party holds rights to a part of the Content, said fact may be directly or indirectly stated or indicated through source citations, but in some cases the part of the Content to which the Third Party holds the rights may not be clear or may not be explicitly stated. It is the responsibility of the user to confirm the rights pertaining to use of the Content.
- The user must comply with the terms and conditions of the source provider for Content obtained through API (Application Programming Interface) links to external databases etc.
- Even if a Third Party holds copyrights to the Content, some use of the Content, such as quoting, may be allowed without the consent of the copyright holder, under the Copyright Act of Japan.
3) Content where use is restricted by specific laws and ordinances
- Use of some Content may be restricted by specific laws and ordinances. Laws and ordinances listed below are particularly important to note. Please refer to the relevant link(s) below for details.
- Application for duplication and use when using Basic Survey Results based on Survey Act (in Japanese) (Contact )
- Regarding the application for duplication and use of Public Survey Results based on Survey Act, you must obtain approval from the Survey Planning Organization that has developed the concerned Survey Results. With regard to the results developed by GSI, approval from GSI is needed. For further details, please confirm to the Survey Planning Organization concerned.
- “Service for Browsing Control Points” (in Japanese) as prescribed in Article 27 (3) and Article 42 (1) of Survey Act is provided to browse Survey Results and Survey Records. Descriptions of Control Points in Survey Records are not available other than browsing because they include retained personal information as prescribed in Article 8 of Act on the Protection of Personal Information Held by Administrative Organs.
- Symbol mark, Logo, and Character Design which represent the organization or specific business.
(Please refer to Notes.
5) Governing law and jurisdiction
- The state bears absolutely no responsibility for any action taken by the user involving the use of the Content (including use of information based on edited Content).
- The Content may be modified, moved or deleted without prior notice.