Starting from Friday, November 1st 2013, Geospatial Information Authority of Japan (GSI) started to issue new multicolored 1:25,000 topographic maps.
This time we issued maps of 10 sheets, and we are planning to gradually expanding to cover all of Japan, and replacing the former maps with the new type 1:25,000 topographic maps.
- The former three-colored 1:25,000 topographic maps were issued in 1958 for the first time. After full-dress issuing started in 1964 and came into common use, they have been widely used for about 50 years.
- At the same time, GSI has been promoting the digitalization of maps. Starting from 2009, Digital Japan Basic Map based on the Fundamental Geospatial Data (Digital map information of 2500 levels for city planning areas, 25000 levels for the other areas) has being prepared as “basic geospatial information that can be the basis when you express the national land by maps, etc.”. Based on this, starting from 2012, “Digital Topographic Map 25,000” which allows users to choose output range and expression mode depending on intended purpose has been provided online.
- Basically, the new multicolored 1:25,000 topographic maps issued this time have the same information as “Digital Topographic Map 25,000” but with more detailed and fresh content compared to the former three-colored 1:25,000 topographic maps. In addition, colors are not limited to three but many in order to express various features and shadows have been added to landscapes in order to increase 3-D effect.
- On November 1st, a total of 10 sheets maps issued, including “Chokai San,” “Asahi Dake,” “Iide San,” “Aizu Komagatake,” “Ozegahara,” “Okutama Ko,” “Tanba,” “Shiomi Dake,” “Akaishi Dake” and “Kamigochi Dake.” We are planning to gradually expand these areas to cover all of Japan, and replace the former maps with the new type 1:25,000 topographic maps.
- The new multicolored 1:25,000 topographic maps are 330yen (including tax) per one sheet, and available at books stores that deal with maps nationwide. Also, General Incorporated Foundation Japan Map Center (Map department 03-3485-5413) provides an online shopping service as well.
Major expressions in the multicolored 1:25,000
1:25,000 topographic maps
Major expressions in the multicolored 1:25,000 topographic maps
- Shadows are added in green in order to highlight the overview of landforms.
- Buildings are colored in orange in order to highlight annotations in city areas.
(Black in former version)
- Highways are in green (Brown in former version).
- National Routes are colored in red and National Route numbers are in inverted triangle shaped boxes.
(Brown in former version, and numbers are written in brackets)
- Prefectural Roads are colored in yellow (Colorless in former version).
*However, this is a sample in order to evaluate and verify the colors and expressions. When “Kouchi” will be publicly issued has not been decided yet.